Get higher scores in writing parts of exams by following these simple steps:
- Read the task carefully. Make sure your writing is entirely relevant to the topic and fulfills all of the objectives. Underline parts of the instructions that tell you what you should include in your answer.
- Spend up to 5 minutes on PLANNING your answer (jot down ideas for your paragraphs).
- Think about what is required from you on this level (what grammatical structures and vocabulary you will need to ‘show off’ in your writing?) You can note them down if you feel you may forget to use them.
- When you start writing, keep your writing neat! The examiner will not waste time trying to make sense out of your scribbles. Review each sentence in your mind, before you write it down on paper.
- Stay focused. If you allow yourself to get distracted, you may not be able to finish your work on time.
- Allow 5 minutes to reread your work and make corrections, if necessary. However, do not try to rewrite everything as you do not have time to do so.