The Definite Article “The” – Practice Exercises
Fill in the blanks with “the” or leave an empty place if there is no need for any articles.
- __ elephant is a very smart animal.
- I buy ___ bread in __ small shop next to my house.
- I like to read __ National Geographic to practice my English.
- __ Anna is the girl that goes to my school.
- He wants to go to __ China.
- My grandfather is form __ Maldives.
- Do you often go to __ McDonald’s?
- Tom can play __ violin very well.
- Where is __ Dead Sea?
Drag and drop: the, a, an, or no article (X).
- __ black cat jumps on my window. __ cat is scared and wants to hide inside my house.
- My uncle wants to trek in __ Pyrenees next summer.
- Do you have __ bike?
- Timothy is __ optician.
- How much for these oranges? ___ oranges are 2 $ __ kilogram.
- I go to __ Spain once a year.
- The cow produces __ milk.
- Can you buy __ rice and __ water?
- Perry wants to buy a house in __ California.
- __ Mona Lisa is a beautiful artwork.
Read the story and fill in the blanks with a suitable article.
John wakes up at 6 am every morning. He takes a shower, combs his hair and puts on his clothes. It’s now time for __ breakfast. Everyday he eats _ omelette and _ apple. He never eats __ bread. John doesn’t like __ milk so he drinks __ water instead.
After breakfast he brushes his teeth and then he cycles to work. __ office is 10 minutes away from his home. After work, John goes to __ nearest pub to meet his friends.